Most of this 834-acre development was formerly Mulberry Farms, owned by Frank J. and Julia Deal Lewis, parents of former State Senator Philip D. Lewis, who described the farm in 2007: “It had cattle, orange groves, citrus of all kinds, free-range chickens—we had 25,000 head of chickens year-round. We raised mulberry trees to feed silkworms [and] were producing silk on a commercial basis.”
The Lewis family sold Mulberry Farms in 1958 to Nathan Hunt and Paul Kintz, who purchased two additional parcels along Lantana Road. The City of Atlantis, chartered in 1959, was one of the first country club communities in Palm Beach County, and further west than other upscale development. The city is bordered by the Lake Worth Drainage (L-14) Canal on the north, Lantana Road on the south, Military Trail on the west, and Congress Avenue on the east. JFK Medical Center and nearby medical offices account for most of the commercial property, which covers ten percent of the city area. Although the development originally attracted retirees, today Atlantis’s 2,000 residents vary in age.