The Holland and Butterworth Company founded the Glade Crest community near the end of 1913, although there was no post office until 1915. In promoting the land for sale, they claimed that one acre could support a family, because four crops could be grown each year. They also claimed the area was free of frost and mosquitoes. In January 1914 the town’s population was 20, and by spring of 1915 it peaked at 72; settlers started moving away soon after, and the post office closed two years later.
During its first winter, Glade Crest experienced 15 frosts and freezes. Although some vegetables were produced, residents quickly learned that the sawgrass soil was good for little more than growing more sawgrass. A flood in 1920 drove the rest of them away, leaving Glade Crest deserted by 1921. Today it is part of a sugarcane field on Route 827, just south of Six Mile Bend.