Courtesy The Palm Beach Post.
The Town of Golfview, chartered in 1937, originally consisted of 80 acres. Although there were no golf courses within the town, Golfview was named for the municipal golf course at the West Palm Beach Country Club that was located to the east. During World War II, the U. S. Government took possession of the club under the War Powers Act to enlarge the military base at Morrison Field, now Palm Beach International Airport. After the war, instead of restoring the property as agreed, the federal government paid the city $237,900 as settlement; the city reopened the club at a new location in 1947. Part of the club property was added to the Town of Golfview; the clubhouse became the home of engineer Roy Weber.
Courtesy Richard A. Marconi.
Through annexation, the town grew to one square mile. In 1962 during the Cold War, Mayor Ellis Altman built the county’s only federally financed fallout shelter on his property. Due to increased airport noise, in 1985 some of the residents offered to sell their properties to Palm Beach County, which purchased all but three of the 63 homes in 1998 for $15.9 million. The 20-foot-high concrete arch that had welcomed visitors at the town’s entrance since 1934 was moved to the entrance of Yesteryear Village at the South Florida Fairgrounds.