Online Publication: The Tustenegee
Below you will find our Online History Journal. The journals are in PDF format so you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed in orter to read the publication. Click Here if you need to install Acrobat Reader.
Issues (to view or download PDF, click on issue)
The Tustenegee is an online journal of Palm Beach County history published annually by the Historical Society of Palm Beach County. The current issue and back issues are available online at www.pbchistory.org. Copies are available for research at the Historical Society’s Reading Room. To research, please contact the Chief Curator at 561-832-4164 ext 105 or email: email@example.com.The contents of The Tustenegee are copyrighted by the Historical Society of Palm Beach County. All rights are reserved. Reprint of material is encouraged, however; written permission from the Historical Society is required.
Inquiries and Contributions
Editor The Tustenegee Historical Society of Palm Beach County PO Box 4364 West Palm Beach, FL 33402 561-832-4164 ext. 104 Fax: 561-832-7965 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Purpose of the Journal
To engage readers about the history of Palm Beach County that is educational, entertaining, and illustrated with historic and contemporary images.
The Tustenegee is electronically distributed to all Historical Society members. The public may view and/or download The Tustenegee online at www.pbchistoryonline.org.
Articles submitted for publication should be suitable for general audiences with interest in Palm Beach County history. The editors strive for variety so each issue contains at least one article of interest to each reader.
The Chicago Manual of Style should be consulted on matters of style; this is the guide used by the editors of the journal.
Articles should recall, retell and explore historic events, people, places and themes related to Palm Beach County. Articles are generally presented as non-annotated narratives in third person or first person, and can include quotations from historic records, diaries, and other documents. Exceptions may be made when warranted. Bibliographies and footnotes will not be published but must be submitted with the article.
Photographic illustration is very important. Authors are encouraged to provide copies of such images pertaining to the article when submitting manuscripts. Original documents and photographs that must be returned to their owners will be copied by the Historical Society of Palm Beach County and handled according to curatorial standards. Materials will be returned after publication of the journal.
Submission of Articles
- Articles should be 1,000 to 5,000 words. Submissions may be edited for clarity or to meet space requirements.
- Articles may be submitted via e-mail or on a CD (PC), saved in a word processing format (Microsoft Word). CD must be labeled with author’s name, article’s title, and date submitted.
- Photographs and other illustrative materials, if identified, should be submitted with the manuscript (copies acceptable). Scanned photographs and images may be sent electronically as well, but once accepted for publication all images must be sent on CD at least 300dpi, 100%, and as .tiff files. If the images do not meet these specifications, the editors reserve the right to refuse the images and request the author to re-submit them. If the images do not meet the standard, they will not be used.
- A brief biographical sketch of the author should accompany the article.
- Articles may be submitted at any time. Once approved, the articles will be scheduled for publication in upcoming issues.
- All articles are subject to review by Historical Society editorial staff. Submission of an article does not guarantee publication. Articles will be accepted based on appropriateness of subject and quality of writing.
- Manuscripts should be sent to:
Historical Society of Palm Beach County
PO Box 4364
West Palm Beach, FL 33402
The editorial staff will respond in a timely fashion to writers who have submitted manuscripts. When we receive your article we will notify you that it is under consideration for publication. If acceptable, the article will be added to the material undergoing production for publication. Articles are assigned to specific issues on an ongoing basis. The editors have the right when assigning material for publication dates as geographical, thematic, and/or seasonal concerns are considered.The Historical Society of Palm Beach County is a non-profit organization and cannot pay contributors. The Tustenegee is an online journal. If at anytime, the journal is published, contributors will receive 3 free copies.
The editorial staff endeavors to maintain the highest level of accuracy and fairness when presenting history. Standard research practices should be adhered to at all times. The Historical Society of Palm Beach County disclaims any responsibility for errors in factual material or statements of opinions expressed by contributors. The Historical Society thanks all contributors for their submissions.