In 1888 the residents of the Lake Worth area were displeased with the treatment they received from the Dade County seat at Biscayne Bay and petitioned for a special election to choose the location of the county seat for the next ten years. On February 19, 1889, the winner—though as yet it had no name—was a site near the northern terminus for the boat line on Lake Worth. Commissioner Albert M. Field donated one acre for the courthouse, now the site of the Oakbrook Square shopping center. Field’s wife, Leahretta C. “Lettie” Field, became postmistress that July of the newly established Juno Post Office.
Also in July, Juno became the southern terminus for the Celestial Railroad from Jupiter. Henry Flagler’s much larger Florida East Coast Railway drove the small company out of business a few years later and residents convinced Dade County to convert the former Celestial Railroad bed into a county road.
Courtesy Richard A. Marconi.
When the county seat returned to Miami in 1899, Juno lost its purpose. A forest fire in 1907 destroyed the town’s remaining buildings, and nature quickly reclaimed the area. A brick cistern was preserved at the Twelve Oaks subdivision, where the Juno dock stood. Twelve Oaks, as well as Lost Tree Village and Captain’s Key, on the former site of Juno, are within the Village of North Palm Beach.