To play the slideshow requires Flash 8 or higher. Click here to install/upgrade.

Palm Beach Shores

Singer Island where Palm Beach Shores was established.

Looking south at the southern end of Singer
Island where Palm Beach Shores was
established. 1950s.

In 1947 the southern end of Singer Island, long a fishing community, was purchased by A. O. Edwards, who had built projects in South Africa, India, and England, including London’s Grosvenor House Hotel. Edwards developed the 240-acre peninsula south of the present Blue Heron (Jerry Thomas Memorial) Bridge, including a marina, a bulkhead on the 3700-foot shoreline, and the Inlet Court Hotel (later the Colonnades Hotel, which he sold to John  D. MacArthur). Palm Beach Shores was incorporated in 1951.

The Inlet Court Hotel was later re-named Colonnades Hotel.

The Inlet Court Hotel was later re-named
Colonnades Hotel.

 

Site Map  |   Home  |  Native Americans  |  Journal  |  Pioneer Life  |  Land Boom & Bust  |  World War ll  |  Progress  |  People  |  Agriculture  |  Communities  |  Geography  |  Maps & Photos  |  For Teachers  |  Credits  |  Disclaimer  |  Copyright  |  Links  |  Timeline

phone: 561.832.4164  |  fax: 561.832.7965  |  mail: P.O. Box 4364, W.P.B., FL 33402  |  visit: 300 N. Dixie Hwy, W.P.B., FL 33401

© 2009 Historical Society of Palm Beach County  |  all photos courtesy HSPBC unless otherwise noted