To play the slideshow requires Flash 8 or higher. Click here to install/upgrade.

1890 - 1898

1890

Population of Florida 391,422; Dade County 995

1891

First newspaper, The Tropical Sun, moves from Titusville to Juno

1893

1856 map close-up shows the location of the two Battles of  Loxahatchee in January 1838

A 1893 plat of West Palm Beach
by surveyor George Potter.

Henry M. Flagler visits Palm Beach and buys land; he hires George Potter to survey the 48-block town site of West Palm Beach.

Lainhart and Potter Lumber Company established; it was bought by Marjam Supply Company in 2012.

Dade County State Bank founded in Palm Beach, first bank in area.

1894

1856 map close-up shows the location of the two Battles of  Loxahatchee in January 1838

View of the front of the Hotel
Royal Poinciana, ca. 1896.

Flagler opens what would become the world's largest wooden structure, the Hotel Royal Poinciana on Palm Beach.

The Florida East Coast Railroad reaches West Palm Beach.

The Town of West Palm Beach incorporated; John S. Earman elected first mayor.

1856 map close-up shows the location of the two Battles of  Loxahatchee in January 1838

The first African American
schoolhouse in West Palm Beach,
mid- 1890s.

First African American school is established in West Palm Beach.

The Flagler Alerts, first volunteer fire department in area is formed in West Palm Beach

William S. Linton, U.S. Congressman from Michigan, arrives with David Swinton and Major Nathan Boynton. Linton and Boynton establish the communities of Linton (re-named Delray) and Boynton (later Boynton Beach)

1895

The Florida East Coast Railway arrives in Boca Raton. Thomas Rickards, surveyor and agent for the railway becomes the first known white resident. (Boca Raton HS)

First railroad bridge crossed Lake Worth from between 1st and 2nd Streets to Palm Beach

1896

Two fires devastate downtown West Palm Beach (January-February 1896); leads to building codes requiring brick buildings

Flagler opens Palm Beach Inn, first hotel in the area on the ocean front, later re-named The Breakers hotel

School opens in Linton (Delray Beach) at site of present Old School Square.

1898

E.R. Bradley opens the Beach Club in Palm Beach (it is a casino), first gambling establishment in area.

1899

County seat is moved back to Miami.

 

Site Map  |   Home  |  Native Americans  |  Journal  |  Pioneer Life  |  Land Boom & Bust  |  World War ll  |  Progress  |  People  |  Agriculture  |  Communities  |  Geography  |  Maps & Photos  |  For Teachers  |  Credits  |  Disclaimer  |  Copyright  |  Links  |  Timeline E-L  | 

phone: 561.832.4164  |  fax: 561.832.7965  |  mail: P.O. Box 4364, W.P.B., FL 33402  |  visit: 300 N. Dixie Hwy, W.P.B., FL 33401

© 2009 Historical Society of Palm Beach County  |  all photos courtesy HSPBC unless otherwise noted