To play the slideshow requires Flash 8 or higher. Click here to install/upgrade.

1940-1949

1940

Population of Florida 1,897,414; Palm Beach County 79,989.

Riviera Beach buys 1,000 feet on Singer Island, will annex the island in stages over the next several years. Before this, Singer Island belonged to Palm Beach.

1941-1945

World War II

1941-1947

U.S. military establishes bases throughout Palm Beach County.

1924

1856 map close-up shows the location of the two Battles of  Loxahatchee in January 1838

Air Transport Command, at Morrison
Field, 1940s.

Morrison Field officially becomes army air field. Air Transport Command begins operations, airport increased in size to 2,270 acres a year later.

Lantana Airport opens.

1942-1943

1856 map close-up shows the location of the two Battles of  Loxahatchee in January 1838

A Stinson Voyager from
Coastal Patrol Base 3, CAP

Civil Air Patrol flies coastal patrol searching for German U-boats sinking ships off the east coast of Florida.

1942

Federal Judge John W. Holland awarded ownership of land in the Yamato area, including land owned by Japanese, to the Federal government for the creation of the Boca Raton Army Air Field. While Japanese and others living within the designated tract were forced to move, Japanese living immediately adjacent to it were unaffected by the order. (Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens).

The U.S. Army Air Corps establishes a war-time radar training facility in Boca Raton, first taking over the Boca Raton Club, then acquiring more than 5,860 acres from more than 100 property owners to construct an air field. (Boca Raton HS).

1856 map close-up shows the location of the two Battles of  Loxahatchee in January 1838

Coast Guard SPARs on parade
in Palm Beach, ca. 1943.

The Breakers Hotel is leased by Army and becomes Ream General Hospital and the Biltmore Hotel becomes a SPAR, Coast Guard women's auxiliary, training station.

1945

A German Prisoner-of-War camp opens in Belle Glade near the Everglades Experiment Station.

1947 Morrison Field is re-named Palm Beach International Airport (11 August 1947).

1929

Central and Southeastern Florida Flood Control District formed which will later be re- named South Florida Water Management District.

 

Site Map  |   Home  |  Native Americans  |  Journal  |  Pioneer Life  |  Land Boom & Bust  |  World War ll  |  Progress  |  People  |  Agriculture  |  Communities  |  Geography  |  Maps & Photos  |  For Teachers  |  Credits  |  Disclaimer  |  Copyright  |  Links  |  Timeline E-L  | 

phone: 561.832.4164  |  fax: 561.832.7965  |  mail: P.O. Box 4364, W.P.B., FL 33402  |  visit: 300 N. Dixie Hwy, W.P.B., FL 33401

© 2009 Historical Society of Palm Beach County  |  all photos courtesy HSPBC unless otherwise noted