South Palm Beach
Courtesy Christopher Ziemnowicz.
South Palm Beach covers about 5/8th of a mile along A1A on the barrier island of Palm Beach, between the towns of Palm Beach to the north and Lantana to the south. When it was incorporated in 1955, South Palm Beach contained four single-family homes at the northern end and a few condominium buildings on its 56 acres.
A surge in growth began in the early 1970s, when new condominiums began to line A1A. Town meetings were held in the fire station until 1993, when a 60-seat hall was built; it was expanded in 1997 to seat 140. The two-story Palm Beach Oceanfront Inn, formerly the Palm Beach Hawaiian Ocean Inn, is the only commercial venture in town. Most residents are of retirement age, and many have other homes.